As we enter the age of Big Data, there is a great deal of good that we, as Data Scientists can do, but also the potential for great harm. There is now a free online course on this topic.
You will find here several articles on the validity and fairness of our analyses, and on privacy preservation. A high level overview of the ideas can be found in this keynote at IEEE Big Data. All these thoughts can be succinctly summarized in terms of a code of ethics that all data scientists should live by.
Ask Me Anything about data science during a Reddit IAmA on December 7, 2016 at 10 a.m. EST
The Data Scientist's Code of Ethics
- When collecting/analyzing data, I will not surprise the subject of the data.
- Informed consent is the standard
- Data Destruction pledge
- I will own the outcome of my data analysis.
- Address issues of algorithmic bias
- Correct data errors as best as possible
- Consider societal impact